5 options but no progress - CBD beautification before Wellington Council again

If councillors and the community weren't confused enough by the long running wrangle over the CBD beautification, now they have five options to look at, and also the prospect of a budget blowout.

A year has passed since Wellington's successful application for Cobbora Restart funds to beautify the CBD. 

At the time the trio charged with handing out the money Member for Dubbo Troy Grant, Barwon's representative Kevin Humphries and Member for Orange Andrew Gee said the financial injection would 'kick start' the economy, but so far it has been nothing of the sort, the progress so far has been in reverse. 

Council is yet to sign-off on a final design for the project, which is to be funded by a $1.6 million grant from Infrastructure NSW.

The proposal has prompted considerable debate within council and the community since the first concept was presented two years ago.

Councillors will now examine five costed options ranging from an estimated $1.6m to almost $4.3m.

Wellington's acting general manager Karen Roberts says the council has not allocated any additional funds for the project in its long-term financial plan or Fit For The Future Improvement Plan other than the $1,607,000 grant funding from Infrastructure NSW.

The project, intended to revitalise Wellington's retail and commercial precinct, generated 49 individual submissions from residents in addition to a petition with 660 signatures.

Most comments opposed the removal of any part of the wall along Cameron Park and changing the park's layout.

Landscape architect David Moir, from Moir Landscaping Architecture, will attend Wednesday's meeting to work through the various options with councillors.

Budget blow outs on the Caves redevelopment and Rygate are also facing council under scrutiny over its Fit For The Future improvement proposal.

Comments