Homicide Squad detectives are appealing for information as they continue to investigate the shooting death of a man at Wellington earlier this year.
About 4.30pm on Monday, April 27 2020, police were called to Wellington Base Hospital after a man presented with a gunshot wound to his abdomen.
Despite the efforts of hospital staff, the man was unable to be revived. The man has since been formally identified as 48-year-old Wellington resident, Frank Smith.
Initial inquiries were conducted by officers from Orana Mid-Western Police District before detectives from the State Crime Command's Homicide Squad took carriage of the investigation under Strike Force Libani.
Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said as investigations continue, police are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
"Initial inquiries into Mr Smith's death have revealed that a member of the public saw him collapse in the front yard of a home on Thornton Street, Wellington, about 10am on Monday, April 27 2020," Det Supt Doherty said.
"This good Samaritan has driven Mr Smith, who was in a critical condition, to Wellington Base Hospital where he later died.
"Frank was a local Wellington resident who was well known in the community and was a supportive and loving father and grandfather."
ALSO MAKING NEWS:
Det Supt Doherty said as investigations continue, detectives are appealing for anyone with information, or who may have dashcam footage from the area, to come forward.
Police are seeking dash cam vision from any vehicles that may have been travelling on or near Thornton Street, on Monday, April 27 2020, between 8am and 11am.
Vision can be handed into any police station or uploaded to Crime Stoppers online.
Police are urging anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Libani investigators to call Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or nsw.crimestoppers.com.au.
Information is treated in strict confidence.
DISCLAIMER: An image of Frank Smith has been approved for use in the media by family members.