Wellington Public School worker denied bail, accused of choking

ALLEGATIONS: The man is accused of a range of offences including sending intimidating messages to a woman via Facebook. Photo: FILE
ALLEGATIONS: The man is accused of a range of offences including sending intimidating messages to a woman via Facebook. Photo: FILE

A 19-year-old Wellington man has denied allegations he choked a Dubbo woman, intimidated her and threatened to kill her.

He was denied bail in Dubbo Local Court last week and is currently behind bars after police charged him with a string of offences.

In July police charged the man with assault, intimidation, choking and property damage offences which he has pleaded not guilty to.

An apprehended violence order (AVO) was put in place to protect the alleged female victim and days later police allege the man breached the order.

On August 2 the man allegedly took to the Facebook messenger application to communicate with the woman.

"...there's one rule, never be a dog and go to the coppers... I can guarantee I'm gonna kill you," he allegedly wrote.

At a bail hearing in court, the man's legal representative told magistrate Gary Wilson that her client was pleading not guilty to offences he was charged with.

She also said the man may seek to have the magistrate dismiss charges under section 32 of the Mental Health Act.

The legal representative said her client had never been in custody before and asked the magistrate to grant bail with a condition that alcohol not be consumed.

The man worked at Wellington Public School and would lose his job if he was in custody, the legal representative said.

Police argued the man should not have been granted bail because his alleged victim was "terrified".

"Her safety is more important than his right to be out," the police prosecutor said.

Magistrate Wilson agreed with police, denied the man bail and set a hearing date of October 18.