3 year old girl dies after single vehicle crash on Goolma road outside Wellington

Inspector Paul Stephens. Photo: Daniel Shirkie.
Inspector Paul Stephens. Photo: Daniel Shirkie.

Police have cautioned drivers to take greater care on the roads after a horror weekend involving seven fatalities including the death of a 3 year old girl. 

Police inquiries have determined that excessive speed was a factor in half of the six crashes. 

The three year old child was killed in a single vehicle crash in which a hatchback rolled outside of Wellington, on Goolma Road on Saturday January 5, according to Inspector Paul Stephens.

“At this stage, the matter is being investigated by members of the Central West Crash Investigation Team and as part of that investigation, speed and the manner of driving are being considered as to whether or not they were part of the reason for the crash,” Inspector Stephens said. 

A passenger, aged 28, was airlifted to Westmead hospital while the driver, aged 32, was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

“My understanding at this stage is that both of the other occupants are in a serious, but stable condition and I am waiting for further updates,” Inspector Stephens said.

“I believe they were local and were travelling to Wellington in relation to another matter, I believe they had a relative who was having a medical emergency.”

Investigation efforts are ongoing, and it’s unclear if any charges will be laid, but Inspector Stephens advised people to remain cautious and avoid breaking the road rules at any time.

“Obviously, traveling on our roads, wether it be day or night, people need to take due care and to make sure that we are aware of how we’re driving and the conditions we’re driving in at the time.”

“You need to obey traffic rules that are in place, they are there for a reason.”

The crashes were particularly shocking given the recent success of police’s Operation Safe Arrival, which led to double point demerits over the holiday period. 

“Operation Safe Arrival finished at midnight on the first and it’s obviously disappointing to see this happening after that,” Inspector Stephens said. 

“Some people are under the impression that now that has ended, police aren’t present on the roads as much, but they are.”

The other fatal crashes across NSW occurred in Temora, Port Stephens, Wirrimah, Lucas Heights and Clifden.