Wellington Golf news
Wellington Golf Club saw 33 golfer's hit the fairways last Saturday with one visitor Mark Redfern enjoying our great golf course.
Membership of the Wellington Golf Club has been set at $500 for the 2017/18 year and if you wish to join now you can pay the small fee of $520 which covers the rest of this year and the 2017/18 year.
Last Saturday's events were an Individual Stroke as well as Round 2 of the David Naveau Trophy plus Round 1 of the Kiss Trophy and Kevin Reid kindly sponsored the day.
Event for this Saturday is an Individual Stableford with Grassland Poultry kindly sponsoring the day.
Events for May
- May 27 will have a 4BBB Stableford
- May 28 the Wellington Open kindly sponsored by the Federal Hotel.
Events for June
- Third Monthly Medal kindly sponsored by the Wellington Soldiers Memorial Club.
- Round 7 of the Neil Hollow Putting competition
- Round 7 of the Wellington Soldiers Memorial Club Pointscore
- Round 2 of the Kiss Trophy
- Round 1 of the Repacarge
- Tenth Individual Stableford
- Eleventh CWDGA Keno 4Ball Par Qualifier
- Seventeenth Individual Stroke
- Twenty fourth 4Ball Aggregate
- Round 1 of the Cornish Trophy.
Some results from Round 1 of the Kiss Trophy
- Norm Royal defeat David Naveau
- Gary McNaughton defeated Darren Whiteley
- Garth Watts defeated David East,
- Paul Hannelly takes on Craig Brien
- Wayne Lang defeated Matt Shepherd
- Peter Payne takes on Mitchell Cusack
- Malcolm Payne defeated Jamie Gersbach
- James Cusack takes on John Donnelly
- Rod Irwin defeated Kevin Reid
- Erroll Flood takes on Mitchell Spradbrow
- Jim Armstrong defeated Greg Freeman
- Gary McCarroll takes on Bob Watts
- Luke Milgate takes on Trevor Messenger
- Rod Pedron defeated Josh Bullock
- Gary Cusack takes on Keiran Baker
- Lewis Payne takes on Kurt Cusack
- Reid Armstrong defeated Geoff Walker
- Steven McCarroll takes on Peter Bryant
- David O'Brien takes on David Gillard
- Mac Harvey takes on David French
- Rex England takes on Tim Parker
- Barry Jeffrey defeated Rod Cunynghame
- Fletcher Ivey takes on Damien Bell
- Elton Keeffe defeated David Wilson
- Stephen Kiss defeated David Sears
- Bill Bright defeated Mick MacMaster
- Ron Cowan takes on Peter Cornish
- Doug Ney defeated Neil McCabe
- Daniel Baxter defeated Lewis McCarthy
- Brian Kiss defeated Chris Woolfrey
- Robert Baker defeated Tony Cowan
- John Gersbach defeated Brent Eather.
The David Naveau Trophy saw Wayne Lang take a comfortable lead into Round 2 only to see Norm Royal and Malcolm Payne come home with a wet sale leaving it up to the Captain to find a winner.
After a count back it was Norm Royal that ended up claiming the prize, all players would like to thank Mr Naveau for his support again thus year.
The winner of the Stroke event last Saturday was David Wilson who is in a bit of form at the moment with his final score being 66nett.
Runner up with a 70nett was David Sears who would have loved to have hit this score last week.
Ball competition winners were David Wilson 66nett, David Sears 70nett, Norm Royal 71nett, Doug Ney 71nett, Paul Hannelly 71nett, John Gersbach 71nett.
Ron Stubblefield Toyota terrific tee shot on the third was Bill Bright.
On the eighth it was Elton Keeffe, on the 14th it was Steven McCarroll, on the 16 it was Daniel Baxter.
Gersbach Mechanical nearest the pin in 2 shots on the 6th hole was taken out by John Gersbach who hit a beauty to put it very close.
McDonald's biggest whack in A grade was Malcolm Payne and in B grade it was that gorilla Brent Eather.
Brent's NFI AWARD winner was Peter Bryant who keeps on trying each week, his final score was 92nett.
Raffle winner was Greg Freeman and the lucky schooner winner was Mitch Spradbrow.
The Thursday Twilight golf competition presentation will be held on Friday, June 2 and commencing at 6.30pm.
Eighteen bowlers were on the green in last Wednesday’s Jackpot Bowls.
Winners on the day were Dave Wilson (Welcome Back) Don Graham and Garry King who defeated Mo Clare, Allan Manning and Rob Harvey 23 – 11.
Runners up were Charlie morley and Ron Oxenham who defeated Ray Gersbach and Bill Meharg 18 – 16.
Other results were Mick Buttsworth and Jack Charlton defeated Pat Cassidy and Barry Smith 19 – 15.
Dave Stace and Terry Dray defeated Frank Gersbach and Richard Carpenter 25 – 20.
The Jackpot was not won.
Jason Cornish won the raffle.
Jackpot Bowls are on again today (Wednesday) names in by 1pm for 1.30pm start.
Matches set down for Saturday, May 20 are as follows with a 1pm Start
Ron Oxenham and Richard Carpenter versus Kevin Stanley and Barry Smith
Allan Manning and Scott Reid versus Jason Cornish and Garry King
Dave Stace and Peter Baker versus Rod Musgrave and Mick Buttsworth
The draw and our opponents for the Sectional playoffs on Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, May 28 May at West Dubbo is on the Notice Board.
Our Club had a good Trial against West Dubbo last Saturday winning 9 – 1 two rinks to one with an overall score of 78 – 63.
Teams to play in the Zone Sectional playoffs will be selected this week and will be on the Notice Board.
Badge Draw $800. Raffles Meat Trays and Vouchers Tickets on sale from 6pm. Music by local artists.
Junior Rugby League
Our under 13s travelled to Mudgee on Saturday for another very tough encounter.
they ended up on the wrong side of the score line but stayed competitive for the entire game.
This side is made up of mostly younger boys who are going through a steep learning curve.
I have no doubt that next year they will be a major force in the 13s competition.
The final score was Mudgee 33, Wellington 14.
Our under 15s did not play due to a bye which left only the one game at Montefiores. Our 17s took on Mudgee in a brutal encounter.
Wellington had only 15 players due to representative commitments but were unfazed by the empty bench.
The Redbacks came out and played a perfect first half which gave them a ten nil lead at the break.
During the second half our boys began to tire causing them to lose their composure. Mudgee struck back with two quick tries before Wellington found some extra gas to score again.
Mudgee finished the game very strongly but our lead was good enough to secure the win.
The final score was Wellington 24, Mudgee 20.
Next Sunday the Wallas head to Narromine for their carnival.
Under 13s versus Dubbo Blue.
Under 15s versus Dubbo Blue
Both of these matches will be in Dubbo.
Our 17s versus Dubbo will be at Montefiores on Saturday starting at 11.30am.
Results, Saturday, May 13 at 500 yards.
Target Rifle -
- B. McCauley - 100.17
- S. King - 98.7
- M. Cubillo - 96.5
- Jim Pirie - 83.21
'F' Class -
- M. Agar - 119.7
- B. Hollow - 117.10
- L. Hough - 109.4
- M. Simmons - 90
- R. Midson - 90
- H. Griffiths - 81
Club Championships - Saturday, May 20 and Sunday, May 21.
Winners of the Social Bowls played last Thursday were: Francis Cookson, Dot Blackburn and Myrtle Lee.
Runners-up were: Betty Dunstan, Colleen Forby and Regina Last.
Raffle was not drawn.
Pairs Championships played last Saturday were: Leanne Erwin and Sue Manning defeating Carolyn Temmesl and Tracey Reid.
Trophy Day Bowls will be played tomorrow. Please have your names in by 9.30am.
Next Saturday, May 20 a Pairs Championship will be played at 10am.
Players are: Leanne Erwin and Sue Manning versus Delma Gershbach and Colleen Forby. Good luck to both teams.