A BOY found guilty of multiple break and enter offences, larceny and a police pursuit will remain in juvenile custody until July.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared in Orange Children’s Court via video link on Monday following a string of offences in Wellington in 2015 and 2016 where he attempted to break into a children’s home, took a torch and a coin collection from an Elizabeth Street property and broke into Market Fitness Gym, stealing several clothing items.
Wellington seems to be a bad environment for this young man.
The police pursuit occurred on December 11, 2015, when police spotted a white Toyota Camry travelling on Dibbs Street without a front number plate, but when they tried to wave the car down, it accelerated.
The chase continued along several streets before it lost control on Simpson Street, spun and came to rest on the side of the road.
Police facts said the Camry moved toward police, forcing them to take evasive action, and struck the driver’s side of the police car.
Police later found the car in Elizabeth Street and the child in the roof cavity of a Charles Street property.
The child was given two suspended sentences and a probation order in June last year, however Juvenile Justice reported he failed to attend appointments.
He was also accepted into drug rehabilitation in February, but was removed in March.
His solicitor, Matthew Savage, told the court his client surrendered himself to police and been drug free since he was taken into custody on January 9.
“And he intends to stay that way,” he said.
He told the court the boy’s aunt lived in Orange and was happy for him to live with her.
“Certainly Wellington seems to be a bad environment for this young man,” he said.
“I would ask that you leave some light at the end of the tunnel … to work towards improving his life.”
Magistrate Terry Lucas said he had no alternative except a 17-month control order with a non-parole period of six months.
“It’s up to you whether you keep going to a place like this,” he said.